Better Melt Monitoring
Melt Profiler™ Systems
A Simple And Cost Effective Way To Continuously Monitor Melt Temperature... And So Much More
Injection molding technology has improved considerably over the past several years. These improvements include:
- Dramatically increases in microprocessor speeds
- Significant advancements in servo valve technology
- Implementation of highly precise electronic injection and screw drives
- Expanded use of hot runner systems
- Increased use of in-cavity pressure monitoring systems
These technology advancements allow molders to meet the ever-increasing demands for more complex parts, many made with highly engineered polymers that pose special processing challenges.
Yet bad parts are still made.
At Md Plastics, we believe that one of the main reasons for the molding of bad parts is because the true state of the polymer is unknown. Why? Because there has never been a way to accurately measure in-line melt temperature during the injection molding process. Until now.
Melt Profiler™ - The Solution
Melt Profiler™ Systems give processors a way to continuously monitor in-line melt temperature during the injection molding process. They allow molders to see and understand how polymers are affected by the many variables at play during the molding process. These systems are easy to install, simple to use and provide molders with metrics that can predict part quality.
Melt Profiler™ Systems utilize specially fabricated Temp-Sense™ micro-bead sensors (U.S. patents 7,585,166 and 6,649,095) that are located in the nozzle body or end cap of molding machines.
Example of Temp-Sense™ sensor installed into nozzle body
Example of Temp-Sense™ sensor installed into end cap
The data collected by the sensors is fed into a program that displays the information onto a computer screen, allowing the user to continuously monitor melt temperature during the injection molding process. The Melt Profiler™ VII system also calculates several key metrics that can be used to predict and document part quality.
The Benefits Of Utilizing Melt Profiler™ Systems Include:
- Knowing if melt temperature is within its processing range
- Noticing lot-to-lot inconsistencies in materials
- Understanding how changes in machine settings affect polymer melt
- Understanding how environmental changes affect polymer melt – i.e. changes in humidity levels
- Noticing machine component wear – i.e. screw and barrel wear
- Noticing machine component failures – i.e. non-return valve slippage, heater band failures
- Understanding if process improvements are working as intended
- Understanding if machine component improvements are working as intended
- Facilitating set-up processes by replicating melt profiles associated with specific parts. This is especially useful if a specific mold is run on several different molding machines.
- Predicting and documenting part quality
There are currently three Melt Profiler™ Systems available
Melt Profiler™ I System
The Melt Profiler™ I System offers plastics processors a cost-effective way to monitor actual melt temperature in real-time. Temperature readouts are taken every 2 seconds and displayed graphically on a laptop computer or tablet.
Melt Profiler™ II System
The Melt Profiler™ II System is the same as the Melt Profiler I except that it has a stand-alone DAQ unit that is capable of reading two sensors instead of just one. It can also be fitted with a warning light to alert users if the melt temperature is out of range. The Melt Profiler™ II System includes (1) Stand-Alone Model 603 Data Acquisition Device (DAQ) and (1) Temp-Sense™ Nozzle Sensor.
Melt Profiler™ VII
The Melt Profiler™ VII System monitors actual in-line melt temperature during the injection molding process. It utilizes a specially fabricated sensor and proprietary software to measure melt temperature 157 times per second and turn that data into knowledge that has never before been available to injection molders. This exciting new technology is affordable, easy to use, and does not require expensive in-mold sensors. It’s the only system in the world that allows you to see how changes in raw material, machine components, or machine settings truly affect the most important factor in the molding process—the melted polymer. Call us today to learn how the Melt Profiler™ VII System can significantly enhance the control you have over the injection molding process.